As a lot of you know, I've been submitting recipes to various contests lately. I've only done two or three so far, and no success yet, but it's kind of fun. With this particular recipe, I had already planned on a banana nut cookie, since I love banana nut bread, but then came across a contest for recipes using California walnuts just a couple of days before I planned on trying this recipe out. So it worked out perfectly.
These cookies are inspired by banana nut bread, of course, but the recipe itself is based on my mom's persimmon cookies recipe.
Banana Walnut Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Set aside
3. Cream together shortening and sugars.
4. Add eggs and bananas. Mix
5. Add dry ingredients to bowl approximately 1C at a time, mixing each until combined. Do this with all of the dry ingredients.
6. Add the walnuts, mix until thoroughly combined.
7. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake 11-13 minutes, until golden brown.